2013-06-16

20130616: Movies, short reviews

20130616, dimanche

A. Inhale
  1. 2010, rated R, 83 minutes
  2. Dermot Mulroney, Rosanna Arquette, Diane Kruger, Sam Shepard
  3. Good cast.
  4. Rotten script.
  5. Boring.
  6. Watch Traffic instead: an even better cast, excellent writing, more than one plot line, and a dominant driving sense of urgency and engagement.
  7. Despite the subject matter, I could not connect with this one.
  8. One star of five, and that is too generous.
  9. I forgot irritating.  I kept wondering why all the resources were being wasted on a movie I did not care about.
B. Blood: the Last Vampire
  1. Live action version of the Japanese anime series.
  2. Script and the director moved the action right along from the beginning.
  3. 2009, rated R, 88 minutes.
  4. One version of the anime (Blood+) was 50 episodes at about 20 minutes a pop, so this was strongly abbreviated.
  5. Not a movie for the squeamish; demon and human bloodletting abounds.
  6. Rated it three of five stars.  Liked it much better than the discouraging Inhale.  After the first five or so minutes, the action moved right along.
C. Timer
  1. The blending of science fiction, romantic comedy, and ongoing dysfunction is not my favorite mix.
  2. 2009, 99 minutes, rated R, termed 'indie.'
  3. Emma Caulfield, JoBeth Williams, and Muse Watson were fine.  The other actors were next to forgettable, as I don't remember seeing their work before, and hope I never see them again.
  4. I rated this one three out of five stars; I must have been feeling generous.

No comments:

Post a Comment